Although not very well documented, IIS does support multiple host headers for SSL bindings. Following are the steps to configure it.
- Install the SSL certificate on IIS (http://www.sslshopper.com/article-installing-an-ssl-certificate-in-windows-server-2008-iis-7.0.html)
- From the start menu select “Run”.
- Type “MMC” and hit enter; this will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
- Select File –> Add / Remove Snap-in.
- Select Certificates from the “Available snap-ins” list and hit the add button.
- Select the “Computer Account” option when asked which certificates the snap-in will manage.
- Click “OK”
- Look in the appropriate folder the certificate was originally installed in, if the certificate is self signed it can be found under “Personal”.
- Right click on the certificate name and select properties.
- Change the friendly name such that it starts with *
And voila, now you can specify a host name in the bindings box, specifically for the single sub-domain your certificate is actually valid for